Category: Road Running (Stability)
Average weight: Men’s 328g (8.5 UK), Women’s 285g (5.5 UK)
Recommended for: Road runners looking for a good value shoe with soft cushioning that can handle a high mileage if required, and offers over pronation support.
- Promoderator unit for great stability under the arch
- Formotion unit at the heel allows for a smoother adaptability to heel strike – cushions and guides the foot
- Adiprene+ offers full length forefoot cushioning
- Geofit construction for anatomical fit and comfort
- Adiwear outsole for greater durability in high wear areas
- Continental rubber zones in forefoot for grip in wet conditions
- Microsuede Stitched on Microsuede for smooth forefoot fit and support for the natural flexzones of the foot
- Moulded responsive EVA sockliner for anatomical fit and great step-in comfort
- Narrow heel/midfoot fit doesn’t suit all foot types
- Smooth sole isn’t great for off road grip
- They size up small, so most runners need ½ size bigger
The fit is narrow through the heel and midfoot, but widens at the footfoot slightly. For previous wearers of this shoe, this model is snugger in fit then the Supernova Sequence 4 and has now reverted back to a more traditional Adidas fit. The lace loops through the three stripes have gone, and it’s back to regular lace holes for every hole. The forefoot has retained the lovely soft ‘seam free’ feel which allows the shoe to flex freely and thanks to clever seam placement places minimum pressure on the forefoot or big toe joint.
The midsoles of Adidas training shoes generally have a softer feel to them and any runner that likes to feel like they have ‘some midsole’ between them and the ground should consider their shoes. The forefoot adiprene+ has been reduced slightly in this model from the previous version, but this provides a more stable feel when running and still provides a very soft feel compared to other brands of forefoot cushioning. The forefoot has a good flex to it for a stability shoe. Adidas use a pro-Moderator stability post under the arch which offers an excellent meduim level of control for moderate over-pronators. A wonderful plus of the pro-moderator posting wrapping the outside of the midsole is that it gives a softer feel right underneath the arch, and is a step away from the more traditional ‘dual density’ posting (where you have a firmer substance right underneath the arch). The overall ride of the shoe has a smooth consistent feel to it through your full foot strike.
The Adiwear rubber compound at the heel wears well, and will give you as many miles as any other brands outersole. The forefoot uses a continental rubber along the medial (arch) side of the forefoot which offers excellent grip in wet conditions. The outer side of the forefoot uses a softer blown rubber which offers greater flexibility and a little more cushion. It is designed as a road shoe, but in mud it really doesn’t have the best traction so more suited to road/firmer less muddy trails or paths.
A decent improvement on Supernova Sequence 4, this is a moderate stability shoe where the blend of cushioning and stability is well judged. For your £ it’s also good value for money compared to it’s competitiors similar options coming in at the lower end of the price range and hasn’t had an increase even with the new model. Well Done Adidas!
You might consider this shoe if:
- You have a narrower heel/midfoot
- Need a moderate level of stability
- Prefer a softer midsole