If you’ve got a wide foot, bunions or a really high arch you’ll need a wide fitting shoe. At Run and Become we’ve got lots of wide running shoes you can try.
Meanwhile, here are some of the best wide-fitting options:
Best Wide-Fitting Neutral Road Running Shoes
If you’ve got a neutral foot-strike, you could try:
- New Balance 1080: New Balance’s top or the range neutral shoe is lightweight and very shock absorbent. Built on an 8mm drop to promote a more natural, midfoot strike. The men’s 1080 comes in a 2E and a 4E width — the 4E 1080 is the widest of all neutral shoes available, as far as we know. The women’s comes in a D width.
- Brooks Ghost: This is a hugely popular well cushioned, stable, neutral shoe from Brooks which comes in 2E width for men and a D width for women.
Best Wide-Fitting Anti-Pronation Road Running Shoes
If your feet have a tendency to roll inwards when running or walking, give one of these a go:
- Brooks GTS: Really excellent medial support but still reasonably light and flexible. Massively popular. The men’s comes in a 2E width, the women’s in a D width.
- Asics GT-2000: Well cushioned with a lot of support in the arch area. The men’s comes in a 2E width, the women’s in a D width.
- New Balance 860: Flexible and supportive. The men’s comes in a 2E width, the women’s in a D width.
- New Balance 940: Even stronger support than the 860. The men’s comes in 2E and 4E widths — the 4E 940 is the widest support shoe we’ve ever come across. The women’s comes in a D width.
Best Wide-Fitting Motion-Control Road Running Shoes
If you require the maximum support a shoe can give, how about?
- Asics Foundation: Really strong support but still flexible and comfortable on the foot. The men’s comes in a 2E width, the women’s only in a standard width but it’s wider than most.
Best Wide-Fitting Racer/Trainers
In the lighter weight training shoe category there’s nothing that comes in a specific wider width but the following two shoes come up a bit wider than most:
- Mizuno Sayonara: This streamlined lightweight from Mizuno is well-cushioned and responsive.
Best Wide-Fitting Road Racing Shoes
As far as we know there are no racing flats made in a wide width but this is the widest we can find and it comes small sizes as well
- Mizuno Musha: a trusted race day shoe with a touch of medial support.
Best Wide-Fitting Trail Running Shoes
We’ve looked for wide fitting trail shoes for years. We’ve found nothing that comes in a specific wide width but these fit a wide foot better than most.
- Mizuno Ascend: Good grip and some anti-pronation control too.
- Inov-8 Trailroc 245: Low profile and grippy with a wide toe-box so your feet can spread.
- Altra Lone Peak: Foot shaped trail running shoes with a sticky rubber outsole
Best Wide-Fitting Minimal and Barefoot Shoes
In the minimal range some come up wider than most.
- Brooks Pure Drift: Roomy in the front so your toes can spread, this is a great choice for a wide foot.
- Vibram FiveFingers: The lace up versions of the five-fingered barefoot shoes work best for a wide foot or a high arch.
- Altra Lone Peak: Nicely wide in the forefoot, trail specific outsole
Best Wide-Fitting Fell Running Shoe
For the super-muddy stuff:
- Walsh PB Ultra: This is their widest fitting fell-running shoe. Excellent uncompromising grip.
Best Wide-Fitting Athletic Spikes
Nike’s track spikes tend to fit wider feet better than most:
- Nike Zoom Rival D: A really popular distance spike. Suitable for many different athletic events.
- Nike Zoom Rival S: An excellent entry level sprint spike.
So even the widest feet should find something to suit. Happy Running!